We have finally reached the end of the regular season in the NFL. We no longer have any undefeated teams left after the Colts fell to the Jets last week. Yes, you read that correctly, the Colts lost to the Jets to ruin their perfect season, well sort of. I mean the Colts lost but their starters weren't playing, which, in my opinion, is not the way to go. Take a hint from Herm Edwards, "We play to win the game!." Looks like the Colts play to not get hurt, if they lose in their first playoff game they will be hounded by the media until next season. Anyway...here is our last NFL power rankings of the year.
1. San Diego Chargers (12-3) - The Chargers are, without a doubt, the hottest team in the NFL having won 10 straight games so they end the season as our number one team. I am not sure how you would argue that the Chargers will not represent the AFC this year in the Superbowl, especially after their dismantling of the resurgent Titans last week on Christmas Day. This team has now locked up the #2 seed in the AFC and will most likely face the Colts for the AFC championship, a game which will be hyped for weeks.
2. Indianapolis Colts (14-1) - The Colts allowed the Jets to win last week and that is putting it nicely. Midway through the third quarter, leading by 5 points and on their way to 15-0, they gave up and handed the Jets the game keeping NY's playoff hopes alive. They play their last game of the season against the Bills in Buffalo so you can be sure that the starters will see very limited, if no, time at all. I completely disagree with this philosophy as it will be 3 weeks from now that the Colts will play another meaningful game. They might as well be a college team getting ready for a bowl game and we all know how they look after 3-4 weeks off. With all of that said the Colts finish our power rankings at #2.
3. Philadelphia Eagles (11-4) - The Eagles continue to play well at the end of the season by running off their 6th consecutive win this past week against the Denver Broncos who were playing for their post season lives. We moved the Eagles ahead of the Saints this week because the Saints, who still had something to play for, lost to the 2-12 Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Eagles entire season will come down to one game on Sunday against their bitter rivals, the Dallas Cowboys. If the Eagles can beat the Cowboys they will win the NFC east and lock up the #2 seed in the NFC and a first round bye. Needless to say, this game will be an all out war.
4. New Orleans Saints (13-2) - The Saints have fallen hard in the past two weeks. Their loss to the Cowboys, although it ruined their perfect season, was seen as inevitable. Their loss last week to the Buccaneers was seen as pathetic. This team had a chance to lock up the top seed in the NFC by beating the worst team in the entire conference and instead they allowed the Bucs to come back from a 17 point deficit to win, are you kidding me? This was supposed to be the Saints year, the year they go to the Superbowl, the year they win it all. Now the better hope they can win a game in the playoffs. What scares me even more is because the Vikings lost last week, the Saints clinched the #1 seed in the NFC and now won't play a meaningful game for three weeks...how is that going to affect their confidence?
5. Dallas Cowboys (10-5) - The Cowboys round out our final power rankings of the year in the number 5 spot. They followed up their impressive victory over the Saints with a shutout against the woeful Redskins setting up a huge game against their division rival, Philadelphia Eagles. Once thought of as dead in the water, the Cowboys have proven they can win in December and have been playing their best football of the year. This week will be a huge test for Tony Romo and company. If they can win they are guaranteed to host at least one home playoff game with a chance at the number 2 seed. A loss and they will have to win all of their games on the road, a huge difference for a team that hasn't won a playoff game since '96.
Well, there you have it, Mole & Meares NFL power rankings for week 17. Make sure to check back next week as we will give our playoff predictions for every game and make our Superbowl predictions. Also don't forget to check out our weekly NFL picks video at www.moleandmeares.comhttp://www.mol
eandmeares.com">www.moleandmeares.com> or www.youtube.com/meares78http://www.