It's that time of the week again, time for our power rankings for week 14 in the NFL. With only 4 weeks left in the 2009 NFL season we still have two undefeated teams left, the Colts and the Saints. They look to be far and away the two best teams in the NFL and they seemed to be destined for an epic clash in the Superbowl. If we have learned anything from watching football over the past 30 years its that the two teams that look dominate in each conference usually don't both make it to the big game. Which team will falter come January?
1. New Orleans Saints (12-0) - The Saints have held our top spot all season long and were very close to relinquishing that spot last Sunday. With less than two minutes to go it looked like the Redskins were about to seal one of the most improbable upsets of the year as they were about to kick a 23 yard field goal to put the game out of reach. But the Redskins found yet another way to lose the game when their kicker flat out missed the chip shot field goal and 30 seconds later Brees found wide receiver Meachem in the end zone for the game tying touchdown. The Saints then pulled out the victory in overtime to remain undefeated. The Saints now head into Atlanta this weekend to face an injury depleted Falcons team. Barring a major upset the Saints should find themselves at 13-0 heading into the last 3 weeks of the season.
2. Indianapolis Colts (12-0) - After 5 straight comeback victories the Colts finally had a game where they were never in any danger of losing. The funny thing is this was the first week in quite some time that I actually thought their opponent had a realistic chance of winning. The Titans, after starting out 0-6, had run off 5 straight victories and looked poised to end the Colts chance at an undefeated season but they forgot to show up on Sunday. So now the Colts head into week 14 with a chance to clinch a first round bye and home field advantage throughout the playoffs with a victory. They will definitely have to earn it as the Broncos will be coming into town playing some very good football. This could be the game of the week and the Broncos have a chance to prove that they are for real.
3. San Diego Chargers (9-3) - The Chargers just keep winning, beating the Browns last week for their 7th consecutive victory and remain one game up in the AFC West. Their offense is really playing well and if their defense can step up and play to its potential they really could give the Colts a run for their money come January. The face a big test this Sunday as they head into Dallas to play the Cowboys who are coming off a heart breaking loss to the New York Giants. The Cowboys will be looking to silence all of their critics who say they can't win in December and the Chargers will be looking to stay atop the AFC west. This should be a real good football game.
4. Minnesota Vikings (10-2) - The Vikings drop a spot in our power rankings after getting man handled by the Arizona Cardinals on Monday night. Brett Farve looked his age and Adrian Peterson was no where to be found. I have yet to figure out if the Vikings played that bad or if the Cardinals are that good. It doesn't get any easier for the Vikings this week with the Cincinnati Bengals coming to town. Both teams love to run the ball and both defenses are good at stopping the run so this should make for an interesting game.
5. Cincinnati Bengals (9-3) - The Bengals have won their last two games against very weak teams but at the same time the Steelers have been going backwards. Having said that the Bengals have all but wrapped up the AFC North going into this week's battle with the Vikings. The Bengals need to win this game more than the Viking's due to prove that they are for real this year and could be a contender for the Superbowl. I am not sure if they have the weapons to keep up with the Vikings but that is why they play the game.
There you have it, with 4 games remaining in the season, our top five teams in the NFL. This week will go a long way to answering questions about the playoffs and there are a lot of good match ups this weekend. It should be the best week to date in the 2009 NFL season. Don't forget to check out our weekly NFL picks video at www.moleandmeares.com or www.youtube.com/meares78 .